When Henry and Marie Clews discovered the dilapidated ruins in 1918, they embarked on a seventeen-year journey to restore the building together.

History

Marie took over as architect and landscape designer. She integrated two original towers, Saracen and Romanesque, into the walled complex. She added a turreted gatehouse, tall ramparts, and sea view terraces. Marie drew plans for over 4 acres of formal gardens, filled with fountains and topiary embellishments. Henry adorned each column, capital, and crevice with mythical creatures. Every gate, window, and doorway was individually designed and crafted. Their hard work left a remarkable legacy. Today the Chateau is registered as a monument historique and the gardens have received the designation jardin remarkable by the French Ministry of Culture.

The property also includes the Villa Marguerite, once the home of the Princess of Pless, born Daisy Cornwallis-West. Set amongst orange and lemon trees, the sunny belle époque residence hosts LNAF’s resident artists, program participants, and other guests.